BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:20 P.M.) – The U.S. military will leave approximately 400 troops inside Syria, a senior administration official told Reuters on Friday.
Previously, U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the complete withdrawal of all troops in December after he declared that the Islamic State had been defeated in Syria.
He was later persuaded by advisers on Thursday to leave approximately 200 troops inside Syria to maintain a peacekeeping force.
With their European European allies agreeing to leave between 800-1,500 troops in Syria, the U.S. is planning to set up a safe zone in the SDF-held areas.
Of the 400 troops in Syria, the U.S. will leave approximately 200 at the military base in the Al-Tanf region.
“We don’t want to see a resurgence of ISIS,” the official said.
This will likely cause an uproar from Damascus and Moscow, as both governments have repeatedly called on the U.S. to withdraw completely from the Al-Tanf Zone in southeast Homs.
The decision to remain in the Al-Tanf Zone will also create some complications, especially with the thousands of refugees that are currently living in the Rukban Camp near the Jordanian border.
The refugees at the Rukban Camp have suffered under terrible conditions and due to the lack of security at the site, humanitarian aid convoys have made only two trips.