Around 70 US-trained Syrian rebel fighters allegedly surrendered a weapons stockpile to the extremist Jabhat al-Nusra group after crossing the Turkish border. There have been conflicting reports as to whether the recruits betrayed the US or were captured.

The Telegraph cited sources claiming that the “moderate” rebel group, known as Division 30, had surrendered their weapons to the Al-Qaeda affiliated fighters in Syria.

The British newspaper quoted a Twitter statement from a man claiming to be a member of Jabhat al-Nusra named Abu Fahd al-Tunisi: “A strong slap for America… the new group from Division 30 that entered yesterday hands over all of its weapons to Jabhat al-Nusra after being granted safe passage.”

“They handed over a very large amount of ammunition and medium weaponry and a number of pick-ups,” he wrote.

Another man, Abu Khattab al-Maqdisi, who also claims to be a member of the extremist group, said that Division 30’s commander, Anas Ibrahim Obaid, told Jabhat al-Nusra’s leaders that he had tricked the American-led coalition to get his hands on their weapons, according to The Telegraph.

“He promised to issue a statement… repudiating Division 30, the coalition, and those who trained him,” Maqdisi tweeted. “And he also gave a large amount of weapons to Jabhat al-Nusra.”

Meanwhile, other media reports suggest that the group was attacked, detained, and forced to hand over their weapons.

The UK-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) has confirmed that seventy-five Division 30 fighters re-entered Syria from Turkey early on Monday equipped with “12 four-wheel vehicles equipped with machine guns and ammunition.”

The loss of trainees and weapons is a second major setback for the US-backed program. Last month, the first group of 54 recruits was attacked by Jabhat al-Nusra as they were returning to Syria and several people were kidnapped.

ALSO READ  US, Israel negotiating mutual defense treaty: Trump

Senior US-trained rebel resigns, says program ‘not serious’

To make matters worse, the US-backed program’s chief of staff resigned this weekend, blasting the training program as “lacking seriousness.”

Lieutenant Colonel Mohammad al-Dhaher said in a statement that there are insufficient numbers of trainees and fighters, poor supplies, and “a lack of accuracy and method in the selection of Division 30’s cadres.”

According to Dhaher, the training failed to teach even the most basic functions of a brigade, such as “the ability to work” together and “heterogeneity” in terms of the unit’s objective. Apparently, the “moderate” rebel fighters had varying understandings of their mission’s goal.

The $500 million program has already been heavily criticized. It aimed to produce a force of 5,400-fighters of “moderate” rebels to fight Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL), but a top US General, Lloyd Austin, told Congress last week that only four or five US-trained Syrian rebels are still fighting in the war-torn nation.

Austin also admitted that Washington’s program is behind schedule and the military’s targets will not be met on time.

Finding rebels who have enough combat experience and would not divert their focus to fighting embattled Syrian President Bashar Assad has been one of the the main complications in the US’s recruitment efforts.

Austin’s statement follows Defense Secretary Ash Carter acknowledgement that the US had only trained an “awfully small number” of Syrian rebel fighters (approximately 60), adding that current vetting procedures were slowing down the training process.

The Pentagon is conducting a broad review of the training program following the string of failures.

ALSO READ  Israeli military attacked several sites inside southern Lebanon

The Obama administration announced the initiative last year as a way of creating a ground force to take on IS without having to deploy US forces. The Pentagon has requested $600 million for the program for 2016. The administration’s goal is to train 15,000 rebels in three years.

RT – Russia Today

 

Advertisements
Share this article:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Notice: All comments represent the view of the commenter and not necessarily the views of AMN.

All comments that are not spam or wholly inappropriate are approved, we do not sort out opinions or points of view that are different from ours.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

  • Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Ziad Welds
Guest
Ziad Welds

hahahahahahaahah how many more millions is the US ready to spend on these isis pack mules? of course this was there intent ,just too keep boosting and bolstering isis

Peter Helbig
Guest
Peter Helbig

US nicht weiß, wie sie von Isil Freunden übergeben ihre Waffen!