Washington is calculating the risks of a possible military intervention in Venezuela, but it should not expect support from Latin American states, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said in an interview with Zvezda TV channel on Sunday.

“Now when the Americans keep saying that all options remain on the table, I have no doubt that they are calculating the consequences of a military adventure,” Lavrov said in an interview with a program ‘Glavnoye with Olga Belova.’

“They apparently thought that this would be a blitzkrieg, but this did not happen, and they acknowledge this themselves.”

“Hardly anyone in Latin America will back them, they count on one or two countries, as I understand,” he said.

Lavrov expressed confidence that should the US carry out a military intervention in Venezuela, the majority of regional states will stop backing Washington’s course towards toppling the regime in Caracas.

Russia’s top diplomat also dismissed as a cheap show the attempts to stage humanitarian aid delivery operations through the border. “I’m convinced that Washington has not understood so far the situation with its line on Venezuela,” he said.

Opposition against this diktat has been growing for several months, especially when the US announced that the Monroe Doctrine could be used in this situation, according to Lavrov.

The Monroe Doctrine, the cornerstone of US foreign policy, was coined in 1823 by President James Monroe. Washington declared the entire South America a zone of its exclusive interests. In case any external powers try to interfere in the Americas, this would be viewed as a hostile act against the US, it said.

ALSO READ  Bin Laden's son was killed in US anti-terror operation

More:
http://tass.com/politics/1054798

Advertisements
Share this article:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Notice: All comments represent the view of the commenter and not necessarily the views of AMN.

All comments that are not spam or wholly inappropriate are approved, we do not sort out opinions or points of view that are different from ours.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

  • Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

newest oldest most voted
Notify of
Daeshbags-Sux
Guest
Daeshbags-Sux

100% BS. It’s all about restarting heavy-oil production, so China can get some from Vz while Iranian sources are cut. US are pushing to have the Russians in, so they don’t end with the Chinese with a base to start eating S-America…
In fact, it’s very tricky… There is no invasion on the table, it’s just a way to have China not interfering in the upcoming Iranian job by having Vz back on oil market, but not in an unleashed way that could backfire on USA…